A letter from a grandmother to her future granddaughters (21 April 2016)
"You are a diamond. Each time I see you, I see another facet of you that surprises me. Each time the light shines, I notice a different cutting that intrigues me. I anticipate my next meet with you, to uncover another side that leaves me wanting more"
~ a quote from my most treasured friend~
Dear granddaughters yet-to-be-born,
By the time you are able to read and comprehend the depth of this letter, I
will be long gone. I am writing this to you at the age of thirty, turning
thirty-one soon. I want to tell you about my struggle to become a confident
woman and share twelve lessons I have learnt about womanhood with you.
As a child, I never felt that I was beautiful nor pretty. I was always compared
to people who were smarter and more capable than me. When I wore the most beautiful dress, my childhood friend compared me to a poodle. I was always a boy's
best friend till I was twenty-four. I never thought people would consider me
beautiful. I was popular because I had an eccentric personality.
But now, looking back, these are twelve lessons I have learnt and try to
remember in my everyday life as a woman.
1.
Being a woman in any century is a difficult but a rewarding process.
2.
Accept the fact that every woman will
transform from an ugly duckling to a beautiful swan when they accept themselves
for who they are.
3.
You will always be beautiful to
someone in this world who is not related to you by blood.
4.
Take pride in looking good. It pays to
do so.
5.
Learn to hold your tongue. It is the
greatest weapon and a downfall for a woman.
6. Accepting your faults and seeking help when needed is the mark of a confident woman.
7.
Make as many mistakes as you want
before you turn thirty-one. Regret is normal, but remember, you experience, learn from, and move on. There is so much more that you need to experience. So, do
not waste your time. Time is precious.
8. Treasure your partners (be they male or female, ex or present); they will either be your pillar of support or a lesson that shapes who you turn out to be at sixty.
9.
Don't manipulate your partner; learn to work with your partner. He/ She will be faithful to you for the rest of your
life.
10. A woman wears many hats in her lifetime. Make sure you
give your best for each hat.
11. Be envious (if need be) of other women. But remember, the
grass is always greener on the other side. Once you acknowledge that, SNAP OUT
OF IT!
12. A woman's courage is her assert. Be bold and fight for
what you truly believe in. When you do so, the Universe will conspire to give
it to you.
I hope that life will provide you with
many opportunities to realize how wonderful it is to be a woman. We
are beautiful and strong, that is why God chose us to have the gift of bringing
a life into this world.
Be brave, little ones, and remember to pass these lessons to the generations to
come.
Yours truly,
Lingehswari Rosana Eisvran
(a.k.a your eccentric nana)
Comments
Post a Comment